Children's books and other media

A place to chat about non-MAP issues that are not political in nature.
Artaxerxes II

Children's books and other media

Post by Artaxerxes II »

During my years in grade school, I used to be called 'bookworm' by both my classmates and teachers since I red a lot, to the point that I managed to read more than 30 books in just a year, most of them being short stories or children's books. The books were often from popular series (at least in the country was in), such as Scooby Doo, Geronimo Stilton, Goosebumps, Captain Underpants, etc...
I also used to read old classics, such as R. L. Stevenson's Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Treasure Island, H G Wells's The Time Machine and The Invisible Man, Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men and The Pearl, The Odyssey by Homer, Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland, Pnin by Vladimir Nabokov, as well as Frances Hodgson Burnett's The Secret Garden & The Little Princess. Those were some of the titles that I finished.

Today, I decided to go and read modern children's books to see what children read (or at least what adults nowadays write for them) in an effort to relate with them, alongside watching popular channels and cartoons. After reading quite a few titles, I would say the older ones are better. Whether or not it's because of my nostalgia, I think there's something quite amiss with current books targeted for younger audiences, although I can't put my fingers as to which.

Anyway, do you guys have a favourite children's book that you read in the past and still hold dearly to this day? What do you think of the current state of media targeted at younger audiences?