Thread for requesting info/sources

A place to propose and discuss ways to improve MAP Forum or the main Mu site.
Peace

Thread for requesting info/sources

Post by Peace »

I was thinking it might be helpful to have a sticky thread in either the Academia or Theorycrafting subforums in which people could request information or sources. It's easy to hit a wall when researching minor attraction and related phenomena since so much information either doesn't seem to exist or isn't easy to find.

The only trouble I could see such a thread having is if people exchange copyrighted material, as that could be seen as running afoul of rule 1. Perhaps we could limit it to suggestions of where to look for such information, or to quoting select passages. I'm not a copyright lawyer, so I don't know where the exact line is drawn re: fair use for scholarly study.
Jim Burton

Re: Thread for requesting info/sources

Post by Jim Burton »

I can sticky the thread once it's created.

Does sharing sites like Anna's Archive run afoul of copyright law, since they do not technically host the content itself?

We have avoided anything connected to shadow libraries on the Mu site so far.

Maybe we should also have a facility for sharing emails with select users (PMs are disabled)?
Treasurer/Admin: Mu. Strategic Lead: Yesmap/Newgon.
Yesmap.net | Fedi/social (my account) | Videos | Essays
Peace

Post by Peace »

Yeah, that's where my knowledge is fuzzy. There's also things with archives, where even if the original owner of a historical piece doesn't have copyright, copyright might fall to the archive. For people requesting specific pieces (rather than for suggestions for material on a certain topic), perhaps it'd be best for the users to share e-mails somehow.
Jim Burton

Post by Jim Burton »

I'm happy with users linking stuff on external sites for now. Newgon already does this, for example, and even Wikipedia links to shadow libraries (although not as sources).
Treasurer/Admin: Mu. Strategic Lead: Yesmap/Newgon.
Yesmap.net | Fedi/social (my account) | Videos | Essays