My survey towards a risk assesment for coming out

A place to co-operate on serious activist projects.
WandersGlade

My survey towards a risk assesment for coming out

Post by WandersGlade »

As you may or may not be aware, something I've argued for before is that the more MAPs come out the easier it will get for all of us, because it's easier to challenge the fears people have about MAPs since it can put a limit on their overactive imaginations. A big part of our problem is simply how we're imagined to be.
With that in mind, I was trying to do a survey of people who had come out, to see what did and didn't go well. I wanted to limit the danger of survivorship bias by focusing only on coming out experiences that were positive. My hope was to identify indicators that there would be a higher probability a person would be accepting.
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to find many people to respond (I think 5 or 6; still haven't gotten back a second response from Virped as to whether they'd decided to participate). I want to do another survey testing other areas I didn't in the first one, but this time use something like surveymonkey, so it's easier for people to participate than having to write things manually. I'm not very technically skilled, though.

So here it is: the draft of the findings. (I said I'd notify participants when it was finished, but I'm not happy with it yet)
Having gathered as much information as I think I'm currently going to get, here are my findings from the first survey. Please note these trends will change with more data, especially considering that the sample size was less than 10 people. Also, please note, none of these traits guarantee a person will accept you.

Positive indicators that suggest a person may be more likely to be accepting if you come out as a MAP:
A family member
A long-time friend
A woman*
Your father
People who display open-mindedness
People who demonstrate a strong resilience to stress
People who show a willingness to listen
People who treat others respectfully

Negative indicators that suggest a person might be less likely to be accepting if you come out as a MAP:
A person who is religious*
People who study LGBT issues academically
A member of the LGBT community*
A recent acquaintance

*This isn't meant to be taken as an indication that women, religious people, or members of the LGBT community as whole have specific attitudes toward MAPs.
I'm currently working on a follow up survey to fill in the gaps of the original. If you've had experiences coming out and would like to participate, or you have experiences you would be willing to share that contradict the findings of the original survey, please contact me.
I'd like to do the same survey again to get more data. However I'm not sure how to get more people to participate.

These are the questions for the second survey I'm thinking of doing for areas missing in the first survey:
Neutral experiences:
What were the ages of those with whom you had neutral experiences?
What was the education level of those with whom you had neutral experiences?
What was the economic status of those with whom you had neutral experiences?
What was the cultural background of those with whom you had neutral experiences?

Negative experiences:
What were the ages of those with whom you had negative experiences?
What was the education level of those with whom you had negative experiences?
What was the economic status of those with whom you had negative experiences?
What was the cultural background of those with whom you had negative experiences?

Positive experiences:
What were the ages of those with whom you had positive experiences?
What was the education level of those with whom you had positive experiences?
What was the economic status of those with whom you had positive experiences?
What was the cultural background of those with whom you had positive experiences?
Any suggestions to make the process easier or get more responses, would be appreciated. Also, I wouldn't mind having someone to collaborate with, it's been more work than I was expecting and I'm not very organized. :lol:
Fragment

Re: My survey towards a risk assesment for coming out

Post by Fragment »

It's a pity that Google is such a security risk. This is the kind of questionnaire that Google Forms would be well suited for. But even if I'm out to my family, I don't want to be out to Google.

Perhaps in the future we could look at putting it on the main Mu site. Probably not for a while, but we'll be looking at doing various kinds of community consultations and one about coming out would definitely be very interesting. We might ask for your input when the time comes.
Communications Officer: Mu. Exclusive hebephile BL.

"Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous."
~Frankenstein
WandersGlade

Post by WandersGlade »

Fragment wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:52 am It's a pity that Google is such a security risk. This is the kind of questionnaire that Google Forms would be well suited for. But even if I'm out to my family, I don't want to be out to Google.
:lol:
Perhaps in the future we could look at putting it on the main Mu site. Probably not for a while, but we'll be looking at doing various kinds of community consultations and one about coming out would definitely be very interesting. We might ask for your input when the time comes.
Thanks! Be sure to give me a shout, I'd be happy to suggest ideas.
NaruFGT

Post by NaruFGT »

Fragment wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 4:52 am I don't want to be out to Google.
I am. Once Bard came out, I would spend hours at a time whining about MAP stuff. It also was once upon a time a useful resource for finding shotacon artwork.
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm A family member
My brother asked me aggressively what my type was, I indicated. Upon review of his Facebook messages upon his death, it was revealed that he had aggressively used my identity to run a pass on his friends. Coming out to him was a mistake.

I haven't come out to my other two natural half-siblings, but they have indicated they already know. They probably wish they didn't.

I used my uncle's screen printing equipment to produce Mitsui Jun themed t-shirts using Konta Poponta as the graphic. We're still on speaking terms, we know how to agree to disagree on lots of things.
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm A long-time friend
I don't have many of those, and usually boy attraction is one of my requisite mutual interests before I'll even introduce myself as a friend, but lately my partner has been encouraging me to cease this.
Most of my friends have pedophiles or shotacons in their life and are aware that we exist. I like to imagine they don't care, but I've been proven wrong a number of times. One of the antis still maintains contact with me.
I do have lots of pretenders who want me to befriend them. I'm vulnerable to charisma and I might have slipped up a few times in my life.
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm A woman*
Just no. Also: why?
I mean, I'll tell you, the few times it has happened I have not appreciated the response, and it was NOT voluntary.
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm Your father
Eh. Why would I bother with stating the obvious.
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm People who display open-mindedness
People who demonstrate a strong resilience to stress
People who show a willingness to listen
People who treat others respectfully
I don't know what this
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm A person who is religious*
They tend to be the rent seekers. Zealous religious people who know of my orientation tend to see me as a resource rather than a person.
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm People who study LGBT issues academically
I like gays and trans people. I'll let my guard down if they ask me about my interest in childhood sexual experiences and boys. Usually we have much to bond over regarding childhood homosexuality and childhood gender identity exploration. I'm very much LGBTQ+ aligned.
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm A recent acquaintance
Well I try not to, but I do have flags and I'm always working on my tells.

Coming out is easy, staying out is the difficult part. I'm distressed when people "don't want to think about me that way" because it is a part of who I am.

I'll consider the survey later, gtg.
WandersGlade

Post by WandersGlade »

NaruFGT wrote: Sat Jul 13, 2024 11:41 pm Upon review of his Facebook messages upon his death, it was revealed that he had aggressively used my identity to run a pass on his friends.
What does this expression mean?
One of the antis still maintains contact with me.
Curious, would you mind sharing some of the context for that?
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm A woman*
Just no. Also: why?
I mean, I'll tell you, the few times it has happened I have not appreciated the response, and it was NOT voluntary.
What do you mean?
WandersGlade wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:03 pm People who study LGBT issues academically
I like gays and trans people. I'll let my guard down if they ask me about my interest in childhood sexual experiences and boys. Usually we have much to bond over regarding childhood homosexuality and childhood gender identity exploration. I'm very much LGBTQ+ aligned.
Interesting. The impression I got from other people was that LGBT people are often anxious to distance themselves from MAPs.