After Pro-Reform/12+

A place to discuss activist ideas, theories, frameworks, etc.
Jim Burton

Re: After Pro-Reform/12+

Post by Jim Burton »

A stricter approach works much better. Firm rules, consistently enforced, are the only way to keep things in order.
Is this not true with all aspects of human society? If the existing class structure allows you to get away with it (e.g. colonialism), strict enforcement obviously gives you more control and a more ordered workforce. Doesn't mean class systems and authoritarianism should always be pursued toward the end-goal of a peaceful society.
Treasurer/Admin: Mu. Strategic Lead: Yesmap/Newgon.
Yesmap.net | Fedi/social (my account) | Videos | Essays
Fragment

Post by Fragment »

In my experience, and based on the research, I'm inclined to think that authoritarian approaches in even governance or in adult-child interaction leads to short term compliance but long term problems.

"Obey because I have the bigger stick" is very easy to understand, but it doesn't impart very good values. It is harder to lead children in the right direction without threatening them, but the result is empowered individuals capable of making their own decisions to satisfy their own ends (which may sometimes be at odds with what adults want!)

Obviously there is a balance. In a world with more empowered youth, I still believe adults have a duty of care. It shouldn't be a free-for-all where minors do whatever without supervision. Nor does it mean that all minors would be treated equally. But it does mean a focus on enhancing the decision making power of youth, while still treating them appropriately in line with their emergent capacities.
Communications Officer: Mu. Exclusive hebephile BL.

"Everywhere I see bliss, from which I alone am irrevocably excluded. I was benevolent and good; misery made me a fiend. Make me happy, and I shall again be virtuous."
~Frankenstein
NekoLovesFemaleMaps

Post by NekoLovesFemaleMaps »

Fragment wrote: Mon Sep 02, 2024 5:49 am In my experience, and based on the research, I'm inclined to think that authoritarian approaches in even governance or in adult-child interaction leads to short term compliance but long term problems.

"Obey because I have the bigger stick" is very easy to understand, but it doesn't impart very good values. It is harder to lead children in the right direction without threatening them, but the result is empowered individuals capable of making their own decisions to satisfy their own ends (which may sometimes be at odds with what adults want!)

Obviously there is a balance. In a world with more empowered youth, I still believe adults have a duty of care. It shouldn't be a free-for-all where minors do whatever without supervision. Nor does it mean that all minors would be treated equally. But it does mean a focus on enhancing the decision making power of youth, while still treating them appropriately in line with their emergent capacities.
This is reasonable

Kids aren't so dumb that we need to take a heavy handed approach to every aspect of their lives. Even as a child, there were certain foods I never liked and never grew up to like. For education, I would have loved more choices in my subjects akin to how uni does it now instead of being forced to take a rigid set of classes

Moderation is key here. Kids wanting to deny vaccines or deciding to quit school to work at Tim Horton's would be obviously bunk. Adults are stewards of kids and good states have a vested interest in ensuring the youth turn out alright. Going too far in either direction would be damaging
galileo2333

Post by galileo2333 »

There needs to be an emphasis on ensuring there's no upper age limit for the older party in a sexual interaction.