MAP material digitization

A place to co-operate on serious activist projects.
Peace

MAP material digitization

Post by Peace »

I'm seeking others who're interested in digitizing MAP material. I recently had the chance to visit a local archive and take a bunch of photos of rare NAMBLA material, and it got me thinking that we as a community should make a more coordinated effort to digitally archive important historical material related to our attraction. With permission from the moderators, I'd like this thread to be a hub for planning and sharing digitization efforts.

I'm also open to this thread being a place where people can discuss historical MAP material in general, or can discuss the archiving and digitization process in general.

Depending on where you live, you may have more access to archives with MAP material than you think! Large public libraries, university libraries, specialized archives, and historical societies are all ripe for exploring. Being a university student or library patron may also get you access to databases containing already digitized material. Inter-library loans are another option.

You could make a list of the nearest libraries and archives, and search each one's catalogue for relevant material. WorldCat is another good starting point, as each piece's page shows the nearest libraries to your location which have a copy.

Many archives also offer digitization services for a fee, which I've started looking more into.

As for what to look for, pretty much anything related to MAPs! However, I've been building a list of MAP material if people want some inspiration.

I'm especially interested in early MAP zines and newsletters. Here's a list of a few, with the pertinent info I've gathered:
Puberty Rights: A Magazine of Boy Love (New York, 1974-???)
Magpie: the journal of the Paedophile Information Exchange (London, 1977-???) (also their PIE Newsletter (1975-76), Understanding Paedophilia (1976-77), Childhood Rights (1977-78))
minor Problems: review for intergenerational & childhood sexuality. (London, 1984-87, Mick LaCarpa (editor))
BL newsletter (Paramus, New Jersey, 1981-84) (also their KRP2 Report, 1986-???)
Better Life Monthly (Beverly Hills, California, 1970s)
Unbound (Free Forum Books, San Francisco, California)
Hermes (North Chicago)
Ped-Men (Whitman, MA)
Boy-Love World (Ganymede International, Maastricht, Netherlands, 1986)
Rock Spider (Australia)
Boy Love News (Gay News Germany, Germany, 1973)
Palaver (Paedophile Action for Liberation, London, England, 1975-1977?)
Crosstalk: quarterly Australian magazine on intergenerational (adult/child) sexual contacts. (Collingwood, Victoria, 1988-???)
Blaze Bulletin (Strawberry Hills, N.S.W., 1987-1991)
Palaestre (Paris, 1994-???)
L'Espoir (CRIES, 198?)
Made in the USA (1994, Renato Corazza [editor])

Here's a few other pieces that I've run across the name of and am interested in getting digitized:
Mark Pascal. Varieties of man/boy love: modern western contexts. Wallace Hamilton Press, New York (1992)
Scottish Minorities Group. Paedophilia: A Discussion Paper (1977)
Publications by Howard Nichols Society and Austin Pedophile Study Group (David Sonenschein's groups, Austin, TX) [I already have their "Women 'Pedophiles?'" pamphlet, but nothing else]
Campaign Against Public Morals. Nothing To Do With Us? (1981)
You may disapprove of child-sex, but please -- take your sexual hangups off our laws: a Berkeley petition to legalize non-abusive sensual/sexual activity involving children (198?)
John H. Gagnon and William Simon. Sexual encounters between adults and children. Sex Information and Education Council of the US, New York.
The Gay Comission (of) the International Marxist Group. Our Line on Paedophilia (internal document, 1979).
Leahy, G. and Leahy, T. (1984) "Little Red Riding Hood and the Big Bad Wolf - A Woman Talks About Pedophilia," Women's Liberation Newsletter, Jan-Feb, Melbourne
Den(nis) Nicholson. Towards a Better Perspective For Boy-Lovers (1976)
Danish Pedophile Association. Ny sexualpolitik: udgives af pædofilgruppen (199?)
BLueRibbon

Re: MAP material digitization

Post by BLueRibbon »

Sure, let's do it!

I won't have access to that kind of material where I live, but we're happy to support your efforts.

I'm particularly interested in magazines showing the historical connection between MAPs and the gay community.

One think we would ask.... any material you find that could be considered PIM will need to be blurred out if linked here.
Brian Ribbon, Mu Co-Founder and Strategist

The Push
Pro-Reform
16/12
Non Name

Post by Non Name »

I've gotten every online resource I could get from my university library and I have uploaded them to the "MAP Torrent Building" matrix room we're both members of. There's a few more items you listed I could get but I'll need to wait for uni to reopen as they're only available physically.

I've got "Scottish Minorities Group. Paedophilia: A Discussion Paper (1977)", I'll upload it to the aforementioned matrix room.
Peace

Post by Peace »

Non Name wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:45 am I've gotten every online resource I could get from my university library and I have uploaded them to the "MAP Torrent Building" matrix room we're both members of. There's a few more items you listed I could get but I'll need to wait for uni to reopen as they're only available physically.

I've got "Scottish Minorities Group. Paedophilia: A Discussion Paper (1977)", I'll upload it to the aforementioned matrix room.
Ooh, thank you so much! I just went and downloaded them. Another reason I want to get back into college: access to more databases. I'm always glad that even though we're considered marginalized or "cast out" from many communities, archives still include material about us and our history. Thank goodness for principled archiving.
Jim Burton

Post by Jim Burton »

Exposure, I feel, is more important than finding the material, as we already have more material than can be shared efficiently.

Good places to start are Shadow Libraries (I guess you already know about them), Newgon's Chronological Archive and BL Library.

https://wiki.yesmap.net/wiki/Help:Research_Resources

https://wiki.yesmap.net/wiki/Chronological_Archive

https://www.bl-library.org/

All three could do with more submissions.
Treasurer/Admin: Mu. Strategic Lead: Yesmap/Newgon.
Yesmap.net | Fedi/social (my account) | Videos | Essays
Outis

Post by Outis »

What an incredible project.

Where will this material be stored? What about storing copies on IPFS or even the more important documents on blockchains to ensure a permanent record exists? Only practical for basic text due to size and cost.
Keep every stone they throw at you. You've got castles to build.
The power of the people is stronger than the people in power.

To endaavor to domineer over conscience, is to invade the citadel of heaven.
Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor
Jim Burton

Post by Jim Burton »

Peace has stored material at Web Archive (censored), Google Drive, Mega (?) and Yesmap. Not sure about the shadow libraries.
Treasurer/Admin: Mu. Strategic Lead: Yesmap/Newgon.
Yesmap.net | Fedi/social (my account) | Videos | Essays
lightseeker

Post by lightseeker »

Is some of this material copyrighted and can therefore only be downloaded from 3rd party download hosts? There is media asset management software available that is directly intended to provide a searchable database of assets, like PDF files. Enriched by metadata, this could become a public library of literature, research docs, conference notes etc.
---
Seeking the light, searching a truth, enabling people to work for a better future for mankind
NekoLovesFemaleMaps

Post by NekoLovesFemaleMaps »

Outis wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:45 pm What an incredible project.

Where will this material be stored? What about storing copies on IPFS or even the more important documents on blockchains to ensure a permanent record exists? Only practical for basic text due to size and cost.
Would seeded torrents or Freenet be viable too? Even BESIDES MAP lit, a lot of magazines, documents, papers, books etc are disappearing because back up solutions were never planned

I'd love if high quality scans are made available in multiple locations. Universities may be interested in it too
Outis

Post by Outis »

NekoLovesFemaleMaps wrote: Sat Sep 07, 2024 4:29 am
Outis wrote: Tue Sep 03, 2024 3:45 pm What an incredible project.

Would seeded torrents or Freenet be viable too? Even BESIDES MAP lit, a lot of magazines, documents, papers, books etc are disappearing because back up solutions were never planned

I'd love if high quality scans are made available in multiple locations. Universities may be interested in it too
Yes, those are good options to. Like the Nazi book burnings there's too much effort going into removing information from the public so capturing hight quality backups in multiple places is important for the future, when future generations look back on what happened here.
Keep every stone they throw at you. You've got castles to build.
The power of the people is stronger than the people in power.

To endaavor to domineer over conscience, is to invade the citadel of heaven.
Charles V, Holy Roman Emperor