Vic Uni paedophilia study sparks controversy

A place to talk about news and non-academic articles related to MAPs.
Jim Burton

Vic Uni paedophilia study sparks controversy

Post by Jim Burton »

https://www.thepost.co.nz/nz-news/35040 ... ontroversy
A Victoria University study aiming to understand societal views on paedophilia to reduce sexual harm on children has sparked controversy online, with a lobby group arguing it helps normalise sexual attraction to children.

Conservative Christian lobby group Family First’s comments online were in response to posters put up around Te Herenga Waka – Victoria University’s Wellington campus, calling for participants to take part in two surveys and four educational modules.

The study was part of research intended to contribute to reducing sexual harm of children, university deputy Vice-Chancellor Professor Margaret Hyland said.
Treasurer/Admin: Mu. Strategic Lead: Yesmap/Newgon.
Yesmap.net | Fedi/social (my account) | Videos | Essays
BLueRibbon

Re: Vic Uni paedophilia study sparks controversy

Post by BLueRibbon »

Dr Gwenda Willis gets it.

As usual, the Christians don't.
Brian Ribbon, Mu Co-Founder and Strategist

The Push
Pro-Reform
16/12
Phossu

Re: Vic Uni paedophilia study sparks controversy

Post by Phossu »

This is very good news. The more research on stigma and MAPs in general the better. I'm glad to see the university not cave under pressure.

It seems "they are trying to normalize child abuse!" is the go-to line regardless of the nature of the research. While I'm sure this works on many people, especially the "christian conservative family lobby" types, I expect it will become less effective if research on stigma like this continues. I am curious to see how the rhetoric evolves in the future.
Pansexual non-exclusive pedophile - AoA 6-11
One day MAPs will be free!